Sunday, November 16, 2008

Potato Candy

When I was little, my dad taught me to make potato candy. It's a very rich treat his family from Kentucky made when he was younger.

So last night I attempted to remember how to make it. The end result is wonderful and just as I remember, but the journey to that point was more than I had bargained for.

Earlier in the week I had sifted through the russet potato bin at the grocery store in order to find a small potato. Why small? Because a little goes a very long way with this candy. So I boiled it up, started mixing in the sugar and...uh oh. I ran out!! A pound wasn't enough, not even for that small potato I used. Now our stores, including Wal-Mart close by 10pm around here and here it is at 9:15 pm, strong wind gusts, and pouring rain and I need powdered sugar! The mix can't sit over night because it hardens up.

So I ran out to get some. I brought home two 2 lb. bags LOL just to be safe. Luckily it didn't take too long to run out and I saved the candy mix.

So...how do you make potato candy? You'll need a potato, powdered sugar, and a jar of peanut butter.
1. Boil a potato so it's soft throughout and the skin is peeling on its own
2. Peel the potato. I try to do this while it's still hot, as much as I can handle.
3. Smoosh the potato and start mixing it in with powdered sugar. It'll become a runny, sticky pool in the bowl. Keep stirring as it gets tough. A small potato can take 2-3 pounds of sugar! But it becomes a dough
4. Once it's a thick dough, roll it out using powdered sugar to prevent sticking. I roll to about a 1/4 inch thickness
5. Spread it all with peanut butter. I like extra chunky cause then you get peanut chunks.
6. Roll it up so the layers spiral together and cut it into half inch thick (or so) pieces. It'll flatten a bit on the bottom and make the pieces stand up.
7. Set the pieces out on a cookie sheet, foil covered plate, etc to harden up. After an hour or so they'll be crunchy, rich treats, but you can taste them while they're soft, too!

1 comment:

joeyandaleethea said...

You make me want to run out and buy a potato and make that yummy sounding candy! :)