Friday, February 6, 2009

Apple pie cookies

A few weeks ago I had some apples going to waste and had to do something with them. I was going to make some cookies anyway, so I decided I'd try to just use some of the basic dough before adding in the goodies rather than making two bowls of stuff.

The basic dough recipe:
  • cream 1 cup margarine, 3/4 cup packed brown sugar, 3/4 cup white sugar, 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • beat in 2 eggs
  • add in flour mixture (2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour, 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp salt)
I greased a muffin pan and place a tablespoon of the dough into each muffin cup. I put the pan in the oven preheated to 375 F. Once they spread out to fill the bottom of the cup (less than 5 minutes), I added in the apples I had prepared ahead of time.

Apple preparation:
  • peel, clean, and cut apples into small pieces
  • add sugar and cinnamon to preference (about 1/3 cup and 2 tbsp, respectively, for 4-5 apples)
  • mash or crush into a filling-type mixture using water for moisture

I put as much apple mixture onto the soggy dough center that will fit in the cups, pressing down lightly to push some into the dough.

Bake for about 10 minutes or so until the apples are sizzling and the dough is lightly browned around the edges. They will be solid little cookie pies once they cool. Great with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream!

No comments: