Thursday, March 26, 2009

Amaryllis in bloom


Ahhh, the amaryllis bulb in my kitchen window has bloomed! I received the bulb for Christmas and I have been lovingly watering it and giving it sunlight since then. For the past 6-8 weeks I have been watching the green shoot grow and grow, sometimes a quarter inch a day it seemed. I've watched three blooms emerge, growing red as the petals formed - reminding me of the plant in Little Shop of Horrors!




Then one morning, one bloom was opening - the top petals were up and by the end of the day it was almost completely opened. The next day, the other was doing the same - now I'm anxiously awaiting the cute little bloom in the back!


This month's Fiery Photographer's challenge is "rebirth". These are such a great example of this topic, but not nearly high enough quality to submit them :) Edit a few hours later: Also, just realized that the EtsyBlogger blog carnival theme (well, one of them) is Spring and what spring-y things we've been noticing. Well this is one! lol :)

1 comment:

The Fab Miss B said...

Amarylis are one of my absolute favorite flowers! They are so velvety looking and long lasting!