Thursday, April 9, 2009

Earth Day

Earth Day is April 22 - a day about education and awareness regarding the environment and conserving our resources. There are a number of ways to be eco-friendly - using reusable shopping bags, limiting waste, planting your own garden, and using recycled/recyclable materials. This week's EtsyBloggers blog carnival is about what we do to be more "green" at home.

I try to reuse shopping bags, but I either forget them or feel self-conscious about using them. I live in a more environmentally conscious part of the country now and it's mostly about remembering them! We have a new food coop opening this summer that I'm very excited about, and I do hope to plant some things of my own. We also have a local farmer's market during the summer, which cuts back on packaging waste and supports local businesses.

To reduce waste, and save money, around the house I use reusable fabric swiffer sweeper cloths, which are also great dust cloths. We also recycle as much as we can - newspaper, paperboard, glass, plastic, and aluminum. I try not to throw out clothes, I use the fabric of torn and holey clothing if I can as towels or dust cloths, or if they're in good shape I donate them so someone else can use them.

When I have something to ship out I reuse packing materials as much as possible, including bubble wrap, cushioning, cardboard boxes, and brown paper.

This summer I'll be recycling wood from an old desk for painted plaques, we have been waiting for the weather to warm up before moving the boards outside to take them apart and break out the saw! I just can't fathom throwing it in the dump. I also have an old dresser I want to repaint to keep it in use for another 20 years (it's been in my family for about 50 and it needs some work). I was going to do that the year before last and just didn't have an open area to work.

To save energy (and money) we keep our thermostat turned down during the winter, supplementing with layered clothes and a small space heater if necessary.

We don't really think about it too much, and I was almost certain I wouldn't have much to say on the topic, but I guess we do more than I thought :)

2 comments:

storybeader said...

good for you! Every little bit helps! You're so lucky to have a coop - we're thinking of getting together a farmer's market, at our museum... bringing in an historic barn to use! Hope it all works out!

ChezChani said...

My problem with the reusable shopping bags is the same. I keep them in my car but often forget to bring them into the store. I don't go into the store often so maybe that's why. I hear that the grocery stores in this area will soon be charging for every bag you take from them. Not a horrible idea.