Sunday, July 5, 2009

Eggplant hash

I came to a new recipe on accident. I was trying to make eggplant balls a few weeks ago (mashed eggplant coated in mashed potato flakes and fried) but they fell apart. So I fried them. We loved it and I got an idea - a way to have more veggies, well, one in particular! I made it last night and I'm setting it in stone for posterity lol

Eggplant Hash
  1. Peel and cube (1/2 inch) one medium to large eggplant
  2. Lightly saute in olive oil with garlic to begin the cooking process
  3. Add frozen hashbrowns (fresh diced potato can be used instead) to heat, add more oil if needed to prevent burning (veg or olive). Use what you like for the veg to starch ratio.
  4. Once heated (not thoroughly cooked) add to baking pan (I lined it with foil first for easy cleanup)
  5. Bake at 400-450 degrees, stirring every 10 minutes, until the potatoes are starting to crisp. Ours took about 30 minutes.

No comments: