Thursday, July 16, 2009

My SEO Saga

Search Engine Optimization (SEO) has been a recent topic in the handmade venues - but I ran across this term a few years ago as I ventured deeper into online writing. This week's Blogfire blog carnival theme is SEO, and I wanted to share my saga as my entry.

SEO affects how search engines register a particular web page and site. When writing, we worry about keyword density - too much and the search engine labels you as spam, too little and the search engine labels you as not relevant for those keywords. There's a fine balance and Google has a toolbar and Firefox has an add-on for webmasters to fine tune their content (they also work for listings). I've always struggled with keywords and density because I feel content and writing is so much more important.

For ecommerce, the concept is similar. You want the keywords to appear enough that the search engine nabs your listing, but not so dense that it thinks you're spamming. Artfire recently posted a help series about SEO, including what you can do to improve yours shop's search engine standing. I found the one on titles particularly helpful. I find this to be an easy place to manage my keywords.

Another thing I always forget is linking - what links to your shop and what your shop links to matters. This is something I've also had to work on in my writing. This is also where friends help! And, by the by, this is also why participating in blog carnivals is a good thing ;)

No comments: