Friday, July 3, 2009

Summer is for barbecue

This week's EtsyBloggers blog carnival themes are about summer. One theme is to write about my favorite summer recipe. It's been awhile since I wrote about cooking or posted a recipe, so here goes.

When I think about summer food I think about outdoor cooking or cool, crisp favorites like watermelon and salads. All of these go together to create barbecue.

I like simple foods, and my family's recipes are simple. Limited ingredients but memorable taste.

Here are a few of my favorites for the summer gatherings:

Green bean salad
2 cans of drained green beans, cut anyway you like
3 hardboiled eggs
mayonnaise
black pepper

That's it...mix it good and drool

The macaroni salad is similarly made with cooked macaroni, diced kosher dill pickles, mayonnaise, and black pepper. Many in my family like added fresh diced tomatoes to it (I don't lol) Cool the pasta before adding the mayo or else it will congeal.

And the potato salad is simply potatoes, hardboiled eggs (usually 1 large per 2 medium potatoes), and mayonnaise seasoned with onion salt and moistened with milk. Boil the potatoes with skin on, then cool with cold water, peel, and dice.

For the meat, if you want to heat up the grill with a tangy taste, marinade pork or chicken in zesty Italian dressing overnight. No seasoning required while cooking!

mmmmm *drool*

2 comments:

Rose Works Jewelry said...

Sounds yummy!

The Fab Miss B said...

Adding this to my long list of recipes to try this summer! Delish!