Thursday, March 17, 2011

Corned Beef and Cabbage

For St Patrick's Day I bought a corned beef brisket and veggies. Luckily the beef had instructions on the package. Last year's brisket did not turn out very well - it was tough and I chopped it all to heck. This year though...mmmm juicy, tender, and I actually sliced it right! Here's what I did:

I put the corned beef in a stock pot and added enough water just to cover it. I brought it to a boil and then put a lid on and simmered it (cooked on low actually, the stock pot doesn't really "boil" or "simmer" lol) for 2.5 hours (it was about 3 pounds).

After that time I added cubed potatoes, sliced carrots, and diced onion.

Let it cook for 15 minutes.

Then I removed the corned beef to a plate and added cabbage to the pot. That cooked another 15 min while I cut the corned beef.

The corned beef should be cut diagonal across the grain (while looked for example pictures, I ran across this excellent website with variations and additional explanations!)

I strained the veggies (salt to taste) and voila. Needless to say, the food didn't last long in my house :)

No comments: