Friday, April 8, 2011

Spinach artichoke dip

I made spinach artichoke dip from scratch. And it was goooooood. I got the recipe from a small recipe book that came with small crockpot that's made for dips (only one heat setting - low). Some things I would adjust, which I note in the recipe below. The recipe says to mix it all together and then put it in the crockpot, but I just chucked it all in and stirred occasionally as it melted together. That's what a crockpot is for isn't it?!

  • 16 oz cream cheese (I used the 1/3 fat cream cheese, and I would reduce this to 12 oz, or 1.5 packages)

  • 3/4 cup half and half

  • minced garlic clove

  • diced onion (about a tablespoon, not too much)

  • 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated (I used a parmesan romano mix)

  • 2/3 cup montery Jack cheese, shredded (I used a cup plus)

  • canned artichokes - rinsed, drained, and chopped (recipe suggests 13 ounce can, make sure they're not marinated!)

  • 10 ounces frozen spinach (I used fresh spinach, and 10 ounces is about right, washed and chopped, the stems cook down)

cook 2 hours on low, stirring occasionally until melted and then often until the spinach is incorporated and the dip smooth


My boyfriend liked it with wheat thins, I like it with white corn tortilla chips

No comments: