Saturday, November 19, 2011

Caramel apple muffin blowout

I started the holiday baking marathon. And the first batch of goodies this season was something a little different, for me at least - caramel apple muffins. I made my standard muffin mix, but substituted half the white sugar for light brown sugar. Also, I soaked the diced apple in apple cider while I mixed the batter, coated in cinnamon.

When filling the muffin pan I put a bottom layer of batter, then some cut up caramel squares, then more batter.

One problem though - the caramel is denser than the batter, so as they baked the ooey gooey yumminess sunk to the bottom and stuck to the bottom. Essentially it blew out the bottoms of the muffins when I tried to take them out of the pan.






So, lesson learned - either use paper baking cups or put the caramel on top and let it sink into the middle as they bake!





 Any why yes, that is my Uga Buga Bowl candy dish sitting on the counter top! It currently has Christmas Spicettes in it (the red and green spice gum drops hehehe)

Anyway - back to last night's kitchen trial...see how nice the regular apple cinnamon muffins turned out!? Looks like I need to experiment with the caramel addition...darn!

No comments: